1.02.2012

Losing Control in 2012


My sister has seizures; she has epilepsy. As a kid, epilepsy was just a word, something she had to battle, at that point I never saw it as a battle though. It was something she was dealing with, something wrong with her that, well, I could check of my list of what wasn’t wrong with myself. I grew up seeing several of her seizures, but they never affected me, I barely remember seeing them. Again, it was something that happened only to her; epilepsy was a condition that seemed like didn’t make her any different. I could always count on waking her up at nine in the morning during the summer to come downstairs with me, being to scared to face the hidden dangers of the living room alone. She was always upstairs, listening to nineties music, dreaming of her future as a beautiful bride and a loving mother, singing her cares away. I could count on her looking great for prom, experiencing her first heartbreak, and still managing to get on my nerves, never able to bike ride or play video games when I wanted.

This past week she stayed in our house while her husband was out of town, and she had a seizure, one cushion down from me on the couch. She was with us, her family, she was safe, but in that moment our family came crashing down. Suddenly something wasn’t right with one of us, and it seemed to occur to every one of us at the same time. My sister suddenly wasn’t my sister, she was seizing, and she wasn’t there. I still don’t understand how for a moment, she escapes from her body, leaving my family in turmoil and heartache. We all know what’s happening, everyone knows she safe in our arms, but watching my sister in uncontrollable danger still makes us cringe. Days later and I continue to replay that single minute in my head. Days later and I am still worried about it happening again. Days later and I can’t seem to let it go. This happens to her too often at this point in her life. She has no control over it, yet it could completely alter her entire future, all of her plans.

There’s something about losing control that makes me want to just be done with this world. Down here its nice to know what’s going on, where I’m going in life, and always knowing what’s going to happen next. As my sister rolls out of bed in the morning, she thinks about the dangers of having another seizure, as I roll out of bed, I think about my schedule, and pray it goes the way I have so perfectly planned. My sister doesn’t know if she can have a child in her future, with the rate she’s going that might not be an option. The biggest worry I encounter is what gas station to go to get the best deal. I’ve made my life something to control, something only I have the remote to.

Starting this year, however, I am relinquishing control. It seems so draining to worry about what’s going to happen in my life this year. I look at the future, and I can’t help but wait for hard times. It’s like I expect the worst, while being blessed with the best. I see people around me being stricken with life altering sicknesses, I see people around me without a future, taking breaks from life to pursue the world. So it seems like this year is going to be a toughie, but is this how God wants me to see the future. Did God create a masterful plan for my future, only to allow me to worry about where He’s taking me in the present? I don’t know what this year will bring, and that is incredibly terrifying. I don’t know if I am where I am supposed to be at school or if I will see it through until senior year. Will I come back home to be close to my family, will I finally relinquish my own grip that I have already clinched to my future? I sure can make an effort, to not worry… to give it to God, and live the day for Him.

It’s hard to understand what that means until you make an effort to do it. A Christian can tell another to live the day for Christ, and bear your cross daily, but for most of us, that’s a cheesy saying we don’t put much effort into understanding. For most of us living for Christ is something we’ve got down, because things are going good in our lives. We’re only living for Christ when we have no worries, nothing to ponder over, nothing much to deal with. My sister lives for Christ when her future is caving in, and I have realized now that that is living for Christ, when after the world has had enough of us, thrown us to the garbage, and it seems like we don’t know the way out… we pick up that cross, and we start fresh, and we live for Christ. This year, I can have my ups, and I can be confused, and worries can coming crashing in like waves during a hurricane… but it seems so much nicer, to look to the horizon of the future, and know that every storm, every heartache, and every sunny day has been mapped out to perfection just for us. That everyday, isn’t supposed to be a meter for us to determine whether or not to live for Christ, but rather, a roller coaster, that we ride, always knowing, always trusting, that living for Christ, makes this life all worth the confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment