9.27.2011

They Don't Even Notice

An elderly man pushes a cart, filled with cleaning supplies, a huge trash can, and plenty of towels to go around. A woman in her fifties loads baskets full of toys to deliver to kindergarden classrooms. A thirty year old hispanic man who can't speak any english patiently waits while I return my filthy plate after dinner. I see a woman  picking up an empty Yoo Hoo bottle after a jock tops off on his third can. He doesn't look back, because these aren't people to him. That jock could have dropped his can off in the recycle bin, but hey, thats that ladies job to pick up after him, right? Did these people live their lives knowing that they would clean up after college kids everyday of their life. Can you imagine spending all of your time in school to only throw away your education as you empty the dumpster. I always wonder how these people found themselves cleaning off hundreds of plates, breakfast, lunch, and dinner... everyday. Is that little amount of money worth being treated like the scum they look after? And why is it that I too see these people as least of me? 


I guess we can't help it, as humans we naturally place ourselves greater than the trash man. We have better goals, we're going to go somewhere, live in New York, become a famous designer, and leave these filthy people to clean up after us on our way there, without looking back. I'm always amazed as I'm walking down the steps, seeing a young lady mop the steps, she notices me and steps out of my way. She treats me like some king, I am in her way, never the other way around. It's almost like I have these goals for my life, to do great things, and this lady just happens to be standing in my way, cleaning off the steps... me getting to where I'm going, her stuck mopping up dirt and scum while her children stay in day care all day on the "other" side of the city. You know, "the other side," the West Side, the scummy place, those worn down houses that look like they're about to cave in. Those people who set out flowers bought from Wal Mart in their original container to try and mask the worn siding and molding windows. Her kids come home from school without a bed to lie on, wanting only six dollars from their mom for a field trip to the museum, but mom can't afford it. Their mother can't sacrifice for them six dollars because she rarely gets paid enough to keep this "roof" over their heads, out mopping steps, to see college kids pass by, not looking back. And no this isn't a stereotype, this is experience, this is a story of a young girl I met while working with inner city children. This girl values pencils, binders, and a book bag that's used, not a cell phone, barbie dolls, and computer games. This young girl asks me what it's like to drive, what it's like to eat at fancy restaurants where the waiter serves you. She's never been served, her mother has devoted her life to mopping up steps, do you think she has big dreams of her own? What I want for this girl I cannot give her. I want her to have my childhood, getting what I wanted and my mother sacrificing for me whatever the cost. I want to sacrifice for this girl, but I cannot. As a college kid I don't have the resources on hand to give her what she wants, but I do have what she needs. I have an inner peace that transcends all stories, all races, and all socio economic backgrounds. 


My God doesn't care if I'm washing tables or sitting at the desk the rest of my life, we are all seen the same in His eyes. You see it's this world we live in that puts down the trash man and the cleaning lady. In this world it's okay not to clean up after yourself. Leave toothpaste in the sink? It's okay, it's Monday, that means the cleaning lady is coming... she's got nothing else to do... it's her job. Well I have taken upon myself a new career path, and from now on it is my job to notice these people, and just for a glimpse of time place myself in their house, in their life. What if we all stopped to notice the guy who picks up empty potato chip wrappers, and stop worrying about whether or not we're going to make it to the mall on time. Just for a moment, stop, close your eyes, and imagine all your opportunities wiped away, and in front of you stands a mop and a bucket, and six hundred college kids running up and down the steps you are forced to clean. What kind of life is that?


You see, that's what this world does to us, we automatically connect with the idea that these "poor" people have to clean for us... oh if only they could have a better life... like me. I wish I could do something for them. It would be so easy to care if we just looked back, acknowledged their presence and for once realized as Christians we have something inside of us to give to them.. everlasting life.. that will turn their job of washing steps into a job glorifying God, not man. Next time let's turn back, notice the people in the cleaning uniform, next time let's not be the jock who doesn't even notice the slave at his service. Let us be the people that turn the tables, placing ourselves in their broken shoes, and instill in them life worth living, whether delivering boxes or a doctoral presentation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment